Monday 4 May 2015

Children, Growing Up and the Climate

Was talking to another dad today about our kids, and the power that their friends have on them.

So who influences the peers of our friends?

Shall we blame the media? Schools? Government? Movies? Other parents?

Is it like the resolutions on Climate Change. Most agree that something needs to be done. Yet we wait for someone to do something first.

---

I've been reading a great book.
Actually, I've started reading a great book. Like most things I do, I tend not to finish them.

It's called, Growing Yourself Up.

The main idea I've picked up so far is a systems view of relationships. Duh(!) you say, relationships require someone to relate to.

Yet how often does our model of understanding simplify a conflict or an exchange to simply us and them. Or, even simply about ME.

It's very easy to blame others, and neglect the idea that waves bounce back and forth from us and towards us. Do we stir up the wave? Or does it stop with us?



I remember a time when I was getting up Sam for not putting away the toys. He was around two and a half. He had been dawdling and playing, quite ignorant of his duties. When he eventually obliged, he first thing he grabbed an object that was on the floor.

He came to me and said innocently, "Where does this go Daddy?"

It was my shirt.


Now if you're married, I wonder if you have ever wondered,
"Why won't my spouse ... A/B/C"

A = be the first to apologise
B = think about my needs
C = get out of the bed to stop the crying

----

No comments:

Post a Comment