Monday 25 May 2015

A most dangerous place at the park


Went to the most dangerous park in a while today.


Frew park. 


You could fall, get hit, roll down. 
In the hour and a half I was there with Sam and Jimmy, Sam got hit. He got pushed over. But I pulled him up before he fell down. Yes, I chickened out.

He bouldered up some steps and was about to walk across a ledge, 2.5m high. 






I hesitated. Do I let him or don't I?

To let him would be good for his guts, build some confidence, but then the risk of him falling and say fracturing his vertebrae would be suboptimal. 

I decided I didn't know enough about his coordination, and I could not look out for Jimmy. So I called him back, and said "I'm not sure I want you to go across yet Sam." I tell myself I'll do it if I can catch him if he falls, until he gets old enough and I'm sure enough of his step.

Seriously, this park is extreme. Take a look at the slides. Kids can fall a long way. I'm glad they still make parks like this - is this a wave against the bubble wrapped childhood?

----


So I bumped into a neighbour at the park. There with his family, including all his 5 kids. 
He mentioned that this was a regular thing. How so, I enquired.

Turns out one of the dads decided to make it a thing to cook new things, and invite others to bring stuff too. And they do this once every few weeks. 

Imagine if more dads did that.

What a dangerous idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment