Monday 11 May 2015

Switching modes

Nobody likes to be interrupted.
Particularly me.

Once I start something, I find it hard to put something down.

I recall once when I joined my mates in hunt for scrap copper after school one day. We were going to sell it at the markets and make enough money to buy gunpowder.

Yes, this was China in the 1980s.

It was dark when I got home. I got a big smack for not telling my parents where I was.
For some reason the thought of interrupting my adventure to tell my parents my whereabouts - it did not cross my mind.

---

Often I'd ask Sam to stop what he's doing and listen to me.
Sometimes, he wouldn't hear me at all.
Sometimes, I hold back my dissatisfaction. That my child shows his father so much contempt. An instruction has been issued!

Sometimes, I don't.
I raise my voice.
Or worse, I get angry at my little man.

At the end of a long day it's possible to forget the world does not revolve around me.
It's not hard to turn a desire for my sons to be obedient, into a story about me and my needs.

I am well capable of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment