Thursday 30 April 2015

Peas and watermelons



For a long time Sam did not draw or paint.

Jenn and I were starting to get worried that our boy was too much of a neak freak, and this was holding him back from being creative. Some parents let their kids make a huge mess during dinner. Most of the time we'd encourage Sam to be neat. Occasionally I might get up Sam for dripping tomato sauce on his shirt.

Sam has a great eating posture. Except sitting straight up means he's not eating and dripping over his bowl.



Jenn recalls when Sam first started Kindy last year, he would touch the paint with his fingers, and then decide it was too much for him. 

For some reason, in the last two weeks, Sam started to enjoy painting.

I see symmetry. I see balance. I see structure. I see colour. 



And then last week, this came out of the blue. Blew me out of the water. Assymetry. Bleeding. Overlapping. 



As a dad, this moment is a bit like planting peas, watching them grow and finding out you might have watermelons.



No comments:

Post a Comment