Thursday 5 January 2017

Sam's Occupation - Part 2, Who's in Charge

Who is in Charge?

So I learnt recently that I am not in charge of the world.
I am in charge of very few things.
And even the things I am in charge of, seldom bow down to my authority. Such as...

  • The weeds. Sigh.
  • My kids

Sam's OT, her name is Kat as you may recall, prepared a story for me to read to Sam.




In this story, Sam learns that

  • Who is in charge at school and at home, and why they are in charge (teacher, principal, parents)
  • it's ok to not have the best idea
  • it's important to focus (and why)
I have not set time aside to read the book with Sam, yet.
But it should be a hit because:


  • Sam has a strong desire to know why he ought to do something, before he does it.
    • That's good! I remind myself, after Sam asks the 134th "Why?" question of the day. It is indeed consistent with Simon Sinek's talk here. And I should embrace it. it would be difficult to have a child simply do it because someone in charge told him to. 
    • As a believer and follower of Jesus, I know that God doesn't simply tell us what to do.  He tells us why. Story after story after story he reminds his people to stay true to him like he has been to them. To God, it was so important his people knew why, he made sure it was written down. So it shouldn't annoy me. 
  • Sam finds it hard to filter out distractions - 
    • That's okay. I remind myself. 
    • He's just like his dad.
    • I seldom like having to choose between two simultaneous engaging conversations happening around me. I want to be in both. If you catch me being a poor listener when we speak, I'm having a fit deciding/focusing/committing. Comes with maturity(and age) and practice, I hope.
  • Sam finds it hard to fail. 
    • In fact, if he has a chance to fail or prospect of not choosing the "best" idea, he'd rather not start. 
    • I hate failing. It's taken me the best part of 9 months just to start talking about things I'm not good at, and embracing the fact that I can't be good at many things. e.g. coding. And I have to rely on others to help me. And I don't do big DIY jobs around the house myself because it'd take me longer, and I'd stuff it up, and I'd probably look like a fool. 
    • So this year I'm aiming to fail at a few things. Blog post on its way.





And the book, how will Sam receive it?

Will keep you posted.
I've also yet to receive the detailed report from Kat so... until then,
You'll have to wait for the trilogy to be completed.





No comments:

Post a Comment