Monday 16 January 2017

Why I am Going Raw Wholesome Organic... Media

Don't call me hippie.
I'm not advocating consuming overpriced organic fruit and veg.

I am advocating for you to think about whether you are consuming raw, wholesome organic media.

I recall the controversy of Big Brother when it came out.
Thankfully I was quite young and didn't see the Big deal and laughed at it and anyone else who watched it.
People were disgusted that you could watch someone's every move.
And then we realised "reality TV" was not reality.

It took me a while to articulate this realisation that another dud, has been flying below my radar for such a long time.

Much of our world is driven by discontentment.
That's how we're groomed to buy, to sign up, to yearn for the next product.
We laugh at the glossy magazines, a dying publishing industry.
But then we're sold another dud. It was right under our noses.

Facebook.
(substitute Instagram... et al here.)

I was, and still am one of them. It's a habit thing that comes from deep within our hearts.
And we too, fall into the trap of being on Big Brother.
Screaming "Look at me!" like millions of others.
Also screaming "Don't look at me!" whilst being offended at how our privacy is breached.

Social media sends the message that everyone else is living perfect lives when I am not.
So I must also take that overseas holiday. And then take selfies with my beautiful children, who by the way are sporting the latest toys and clothes.

Just like Big Brother, Who Weekly, those pictures hardly represents the real person portrayed. The real struggles of getting through to the end of the day are not shown. The warts of difficult conversations are not had in social media (hopefully). We airbrush out the pimples, tuck in the fat and hold it for long enough to take the selfie. Metaphorically speaking. It's not that my asian metabolism allow me to have any residual fat.

Just like the packaging of the freezer meals, on the outside we live like an appetising, steaming hot roast lamb leg and vegetable complete.
On the inside we are probably more like a shrivelled zucchini, longing be really appreciated and garnished alongside some exotic roast meat on Master Chef.

When I was going through depression and anxiety, I realised first hand that it is possible at some stage of life, for a man to commit his life to follow Jesus, and feel utterly inadequate in all respects of his manhood.

If you're interested or if it is relevant, more on that to come in later posts. Hold me to it please.
I've done a good job putting it off til now.

So we all know, to really break out of poor physical health you need good diet with the accompanying exercise, plus some good people to keep you accountable.
Well, what is the equivalent good diet and exercise and accountability for the mind?

Are you only consuming fast, junk, sometime foods?
It might not be the greatest for your heart or your mind.

For me, I'm going organic.
Yes, it's going to be hard. 
Yes, it's going to cost me.
Yes, I am going to pay the price.

---------------------


Thank you to my friend Josh who posted this on Facebook. You got me thinking. And then the dots just lined up.

Thank you to my wife Jenn. You reminded me of all the pressure you are facing as a wife, a mum and a follower of Jesus.

Thank you to my friend B who reminded me of how much I have it all together lately.
You have to know that my life is far from it.





No comments:

Post a Comment