Monday 3 November 2014

Who is the pupil?

I've been looking forward to sitting down and blogging.
Work was such a drag compared to my weekend at home with the boys. I missed them lots.
There's so much to learn and master at home, but work seems stagnant and mundane.

When I got home from work, Sam today started the conversation by telling me the first planet is Mercury. Then Venus. Then "Errth". He didn't get Mars. He was quick to get Jupiter and Saturn though. Looks like our diagram has been helping him remember.

At this stage I have not focused too much on the last two planets. We briefly touched on these the other day.

I struggled to convincingly teach the boy how to say, Uranus. I taught him the more controversial version which sounds less restrained and uptight (imho). When I did this, Sam quickly ran to his Thomas the Tank Engine boxed set of small books. He searched and searched. And I was left wondering why.

He found the red book on Rheneas. "Like this one, daddy!" he said.


I realised that day how little he depended on visual phonetics. Most of the things Sam learns is by listening and recalling sounds.

How amazing that kids can hear a sound a couple of times and replicate it with such precision. And to have the courage to say it wrong, over and over. They are so naturally "whole-hearted".

For many reasons, including this one, I begin to think we have at least as much to learn from kids as they have to learn from us.



No comments:

Post a Comment