Friday 24 July 2015

The Glory of a Fire

There's something glorious about a fire. 

People gather around it to shelter from the cold.

I took Sam to Gatton, my old stomping ground to join the international students from UQ overnight 
at Rex and Marg's place. It was a chance for international students to experience the aussie country culture and have their questions about their faith answered. 

St Lucia Bible Church and the Gatton Baptist Church got right behind this because quite a few were checking out Jesus. 

And we had a ball (a hot one too).

I had been there many times before and seen a big bon fire (taller than the average person) and kerosene soaked fireballs (below).





I had reservations though.

  1. I had the work breakup party the following night. 
  2. And then our 7th year Wedding Anniversary the day after that. 
  3. It was freezing cold outside (I knew it was colder in Gatton, esp outside!)
But I still went, for these reasons:

  1. Sam had seen the milky way but never in the country. I wanted to keep him excited about space
  2. Rex and Marg and the whole family including Joel have helped me so much. They helped me find my way in guitar, electronics and my faith in Jesus, which has shaped so much of my life
  3. I really wanted to support the international ministry.
  4. International students are just great fun to be around.

SO how did it go?

I could tell you about it all, but you've got to see the video I made first.




2 comments: